Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fast fast faster

Fasting helps express, deepens, confirms the resolution that we are ready to sacrifice anything, even ourselves, to attain what we seek for the kingdom of God.

Andrew Murray


I have just finished reading Dr Yonggi Cho book on prayer, he is a pastor of the world's bigger church so he must be doing something right. He really deserve being a pastor for the world's bigger church, I never knew of anyone who prays as much as him. I remember the first part of the book says if you pick up this book, must be the Holy Spirit wants you to pray.... Ok fine! God I get it, I will pray ok! But the book is really good in a practical asian way. The writing style is very different from Caucasian pastors. One of the main part that strike me was fasting.

One way to begin to see how vastly indulgent we usually are is to fast. It is a long day that is not broken by the usual three meals. One finds out what an astonishing amount of time is spent in the planning, purchasing, preparing, eating, and cleaning up of meals.

Elisabeth Elliot

I never knew the power of fasting and when the hunger from fasting is directed in the right way, amazing thing happens. The physical hunger when working together with spiritual hunger, it actually pushes you to be even more spiritually hungry! I am doing a 3 days full fast since yesterday, I am just really amazed. I never knew that I think about food so much and how our food plays such a gigantic role in our lives. Yesterday I caught myself thinking about food like a million times and each time it reminds me that I must focus on God! Well in the end i really managed to focus much more on Him. I never did any fast this extreme before so by the night I was super hungry. And I also realized how much my family eats! I keep seeing food and even the smell of soup made my stomach grumbled like mad. But I really had a good time of quiet time reading and prayer which I haven't had in a long time. When i take the food equation out of my life, God equation became bigger. I had a really great time of prayer. My body did complained immensely and this morning I felt so terrible and faintish. So I decided to eat breakfast because I know if not I will faint. With so much fainting experience, I knew eating breakfast will be a wise decision. But I am going to continue my fast for the rest of the meals, it is actually v gd for me spiritually!

The mad hunger also made me have greater empathy for street children in India or Africa. Cannot imagine how they go through this hunger everyday:( I know it is my Holy Discontent that made me think of them immediately and I can't help but feel how cruel our world is. And now i have a more eager heart towards my calling. God I need more of you!

No comments: